Sunday, July 25, 2010

Havey Vacation post #2

All good things must come to an end so we left Cocoa Beach and headed back to Grandma and Grandpa's in Orlando. My Sister and her family were there and my younger brother's family were there also. My younger brother Michael got off work on Friday and drove down from Georgia to pick up his family. We had a full house. Sunday was the 4th of July and the best we could do for fire works was watching the neighbors across the street set them off. Monday morning Carter and I jumped in my sister's van and set off for our own cross country adventure. OK we were only going to Ohio but it sure seemed like a long trip. LOL. My brother Michael and his family left about the same time as us. Tye, Allison, Emily and Kyle got a little peace and quiet once everyone left. They had their own fun with Grandma and Grandpa once everyone left. Tye, Kyle and Emily headed home on Tuesday morning to spend the week at home without the rest of us. Allison stayed at Grandma and Grandpas for another week and a half. (Thanks for having her she had a great time).
Now back to Carter and my adventure. We did most of our big traveling the first few hours of our trip. Abigail 4, Carter 5, and Ella 2 sat in the very back of the van. Myself and cute baby Sophia (2 1/2 months) sat in the middle seats. The little girls slept most of the morning so we were able to travel pretty far. Having older kids now I have forgotten what a circus traveling with little kids can be. Each rest stop took us over an hour. The baby needed to be feed and changed. Everybody needed to go to the bathroom and run around. If it was meal time we needed to eat too. By the time we got done the first night we were all pooped. We made it as far as Calhoun, Georgia. I thought we would have an easier 2nd day but it took us just as long to get to Cincinnati. (we actually got there around dinner so we took a little less time). The trip wasn't too bad, I think I've blocked most of it out of my memory. I had a great book to read and cute Sophia to keep me company and the kids really were good. Sophia only lost it the last hour of our first day and Ella lost it the last hour of our 2nd day. Here is a nice video of our last hour of the trip. We were sitting in a parking lot waiting for Uncle Eric to buy some stuff at the scout shop just minutes from our final destination. Ella was done!
My brother-in-law went to scout camp the rest of the week and that just left Sarah, myself and all the kiddos. (I came to help her while her husband was gone). We had lots of fun. We took all the kids to see a movie, we took a trip to Sam's club, and we wandered around Hobbie Lobbie. Each time we tried to go to the park it rained, so we just played in the front yard. Carter thought he was big stuff because he was the oldest child-which he mentioned a couple of times a day. He wasn't sure what to do with all these girls, but I was impressed with how good he was. His favorite was baby Sophia. She would smile at him and He just wanted to be with her and hold her all the time.
Eric got back on Saturday and Carter and I needed to get back to our family. We took a flight out of Dayton and flew to Cleveland then Phoenix. I didn't know Dayton was such a small airport and we would be flying on a little teeny tiny plane that has propellers. I have gotten a little more anxious about flying in my older age and this did not set well with me. I tried not to show it but I was about to lose it. When we hit a little turbulence I was for sure we were going to die. Then the plan kept making this funny noise that I know wasn't normal. We had one stewardess and she was at the most 19. It was the longest 40 minutes of my life. Sorry Sarah but I don't think I can fly out of Dayton anymore. The drive there was short and beautiful but I don't want to die in an airplane.
It was nice to finally be home in my own bed with my sweet husband who cleaned the whole house for our arrival. Emily and Kyle weren't as excited about Carter infringing on their quiet calm house. Remember how good Carter was at Sarah's well he held it in as long as he could and we got the real Carter back. It took him only a few hours to become the baby of the family again and all that it comes with.
Allison came home on Wednesday and vacation time was over.
School starts tomorrow and then my real vacation begins as I send ALL of my children to school.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love hearing your side of the story. Loved the video of Ella-She keeps watching it over and over and over. She keeps saying, "I crying." And that plane was small-WOW-I guess I would have been a bit scared too-glad you kept yourself together and didn't "loose" it on the plane! Had to be strong for Carter. We did have a fun time. YOu and Carter should come again-or mabye it could be you and ond of your girls. And yes, school starts today, as I type this they should all be getting ready for bed. I am sure Kyle and Emily have been up since 5:30am eager to head to school. Have a great day, and year at home in silence:)

Sarah said...

"Getting ready for bed" should be "getting ready for school."

Carolyn said...

I loved your post. I was scared the first time I flew to Dayton in a smaller plane; but I thought the flight was actually calmer then in a big airplane. I love how Carter resumed his role as "baby" soon after arriving home. I'm sure Allison had no problem resuming her role as "oldest". I loved the vacation and having Kyle and Emily before and Allison after. Enjoy your free time now that all the kids are in school all day!