Monday, December 10, 2012

Shing Shing and Cauliflower (by Tye)

Part I - Shing, Shing

As most boys, Carter likes to pretend to play with swords, guns, light sabers, and anything else remotely destructive or dangerous.  Also, like most boys, he likes to make the sound effects.  Carter's signature sound is 'shing, shing', which works for swords clanging, guns firing, or whatever.  By whatever, it also applies to Carter flexing his muscles (keep in mind that he has pointed out that you can see every bone in his body). 

You know the muscle flex you use to show off your biceps where you hold both your arms out and curl your fist toward your head?  Well he likes to do that - and just like the sound of the gun going off - we get right, then left muscle with a 'shing, shing'.  He also does this at random times - like in the middle of dinner, which is where this gets kind of funny.  He did this at dinner the other night, but he didn't think to set his fork down - so fork in hand - muscle, muscle, "shing, shing" - followed by a wince and a "I just hit my head with a fork..." as he curled down onto his chair crying - less from pain, more from the embarrassment because most of us were laughing at that point.  He did in fact draw blood. 

Don't mention it to him - he's not ready to laugh about it yet.

Part II - Cauliflower

We don't have cauliflower very often at our house. By not very often, I mean when we had it last month it was the first time most of the kids had even seen it before.  I told them about how guys who spend a lot of time wrestling sometimes get the rough swollen ears and they refer to it as 'cauliflower ear' because it looks a little bit like cauliflower.  But I told them how healthy it is for you and how it doesn't have a strong flavor, and with all the butter on it - they might actually like it. 

That didn't get any of them to bite, so I offered a brownie point for anyone who ate one.  I'm still not quite sure what brownie points are good for, but they seem to have some value as Carter grabbed a big cauliflower piece, asked "so this grows in peoples' ears" and then, before we could answer, popped it into his mouth. 

I guess the value of a brownie point is above the anti-value of eating something that grew in someone's ear.

3 comments:

Diana said...

So fun! Good for you to write it down for later.

Sarah said...

Oh, Carter.....one of many things little boys do that are not "very smart." Drawing blood, that really made me laugh:) I guess I need to give my kids "brownie points." Maybe that will get them to eat too:)

Carolyn said...

Two very cute stories about Carter. I guess he will be looking more closely to what's in his hands before flexing those muscles of his. I loved the cauliflower ears story.