Looking at the last few posts you would think this was Kyle's blog. We do have other children for some reason they are just leading boring lives. Well Kyle has done it again. When he does something he goes all the way. I got a call from the school nurse on Tuesday 2:30p.m. (second to the last day of school) telling me that Kyle fell off the monkey bars and broke his arm. I literally yelled in the phone "NOOOOOOO, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!" (look back at a December post and you can see Kyle's arm in a cast). He had broken his right arm again! This time we bypassed the urgent care and were able to take him straight to the orthopedic doctor that fixed his arm last time. He took one look at the x-ray and sent us to the ER. Kyle had broken both his Ulna and Radius clear through. ( I warn you the pictures are not for the faint hearted)
He would need to be knocked out to have the bones reset. This was definately what Kyle wanted anyway since the last time it was done with out sedation and Kyle thought he was going to die. So I picked up Tye and off to the ER we went. The doctors and nurses at the hospital we went to (Mercy Gilbert) were wonderful with Kyle. Our favorite part was when Kyle was checking the credentials of the ER doctor. The converstion went as follows:
Kyle, "How many of these (procedures) have you done before."
Doctor,"I have done a million bazillion" (Anyone who know Kyle knows that his life revolves around numbers and Kyle was a little leary because he knows that is a big made up number)
Kyle, "No, how many of these have you done on kids?"
Doctor, "A million bazillion"
Kyle just wanted to make sure his doctor was qualified to perform this potentially painful procedure that he was promised would not hurt.
They put Kyle under a conscious sedation - which means- Your child screams and kicks like he is feeling pain, but his brain doesn't remember a thing, and he occationally opens his eyes and looks at you. We did check with kyle when the procedure was done about what he dreamed about and he said "Someone was pulling on my arm and it hurt a lot then I was riding a roller coaster." hmmmm-more sedation next time. Unfortunetly, the ER doctor, as wonderful as he was, could not get both bones to stay set. We were sent home from the hospital with the orders to call a pediatic orthopedic surgeon and get Kyle in to have surgery. Not what a parent wants to hear.
Kyle after conscious sedation
We were a little defeated on Tuesday night. I began Wednesay with the feeling to call the same ortho guy that casted Carter's arm because I knew he did pediatric surgery. The ER gave me a Doctors name, but he didn't operate at Mercy Gilbert so I bypassed him. We were blessed to be able to see the doctor I wanted to see because he was booked solid all day and didn't have an opening until Monday morning. We were put in with another doctor who doesn't do surgery and the doctors office was very accommodating and got Kyle squeezed in with the doctor we wanted. I can't believe how nice this office was. They acted as if it was their fault we saw the wrong doctor and were so apologetic. Anyway, this wonderful doctor said he could operate on Kyle that evening or fit him in tommorow. We had already been there for a few hours and Kyle hadn't eaten since 10 am and that made him a candidate for surgery that night, so we just said let's do it tonight. Why make Kyle worry about something all night long.
I had enough time to go home, get lunch, make some cancellation phone calls and headed to the hospital. Kyle was a little unsure and so exhausted that he fell asleep on the check-in room couch.
All the nurses and doctors were so nice and good with him. A friend of ours from the Ward (my primary pianist) just happened to be the anesthesiologist on call. I don't enjoy the waiting and wondering how your child is doing. You want to always think positive but prepare yourself for everything. I thought the surgery went very fast. Everything went as planned and Kyle did super. The surgeon ended up putting pins in the bones. I guess we get the pins out in a few weeks and then the cast goes on.

Kyle and I spent the night in the hospital and in the morning we got to go home. He was a little out of it the first day but today, his 9th birthday he was more chipper.
We are so glad to have Kyle in our family and that he is going to be o.k.
Happy Birthday Kyle! Age 1 1/2 to 7 months
2 comments:
Poor kid....I feel so sad for him.I hope he had an ok birthday. I wish him a fast recovery! I hope the bones grow together fast!!
Oh no! I hope he's feeling a little better now. He definitely won't forget this birthday. Happy birthday, Kyle!
Post a Comment