Carter was playing with Emily and Kyle. They were playing a game called steamroller. If the game isn't self-explanatory, here is a summary: you roll around on the floor and if someone else is in your way you roll over them.
Carter was mostly watching from the sidelines and jumping over the 'steamrollers'... mostly... He did manage to fall in front of one of the steamrollers (Emily) and used his arm to stop his fall. At this point the steamroller, which was already in motion rolled onto his arm.
This is the most I can make of the story. I was upstairs at the time (don't judge me - I was being a good dad and talking with Allison). I heard a funny cry from Carter so I ran into the hall to check on him downstairs. His crying had subsided into mild sobs. They almost sounded forced, like he was milking a minor injury for attention, so I went back to finish my conversation with Allison. A few minutes later, he comes walking down the hall upstairs and I hear his little voice calmly say: "Dad, my arm isn't working."
Trying to locate the source of his pain caused him more pain. It was clearly not just his typical injury.
Did I mention that this was about 7 pm on Sunday night? Precisely the time when every urgent care (except one we found out too late) is closed. April lost at Rock, Paper, Scissors - so she spent the next 4+ hours with him at the emergency room. With all the sick people in the waiting room there, you wonder if going there is actually medically beneficial. We are still waiting to see if we picked up anything there.
They took an X-ray of his arm and didn't find anything major. They sent it via e-mail to be read by a radiologist, who after an hour waiting said he couldn't see any bones broken. They also tried to see if it was dislocated by twisting and pulling on his arm, much to Carter's discomfort. The ER docotor wanted to be thorough so he put this soft cast on him and he will be going to see a "specialist" doctor later this week so he can give his opinion. April's opinion-Just because I bring my kid to the ER doesn't mean he has to leave with something major wrong with him.-just say to me "This could have been worse mom, but looks like he got away o.k, take him home and have him take it easy for a few days. Don't hesitate to bring him back if he doesn't seem to get better.-sorry about the 5 hour wait."
With lack of a kitchen, we went out for dinner last night. Carter was concerned that he would look 'silly' with his cast. We assured him that it was no big deal.
April had to convince him to go to preschool today. "But I won't be able to do crafts. The kids will laugh at me." (He meant they would laugh at his arm.) He managed to go and have a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment